All processes in our body are controlled by the nervous system. At the same time, the strongest bonds connect it with the skin, since they are the real embryological twins. Let us explain what this means. During the development of the embryo, the spinal cord and brain, peripheral nerves and epidermis are created from one material — the ectoderm, the outer germ layer of the embryo. And then these systems exchange a never-ending stream of messages for your whole life.
The relationship between the state of mind and skin
In dermatology, there is a section of psycho dermatology — a discipline at the junction with psychology. It studies the connection between skin conditions and our emotional background. And this is not surprising: the condition of the skin directly depends on the psyche.
The effects of stress
It is known, for example, that stress can worsen the course of such skin diseases like dermatitis, psoriasis, etc. And, conversely, skin diseases, during which acne, irritation, dryness are observed, can cause severe stress. In addition, stress negatively affects healthy skin.
Some scientific works have proved that on the background of stress, the permeability of the skin barrier is disturbed, i.e. the main functions of the skin — barrier and protective — deteriorate.
Glucocorticoids, produced under stress, reduce the rate of lipid formation, depleting the hydrolipid mantle.
There is evidence that stress can also cause pigmentation disorders.
The complexion changes
Bad news, a quarrel, an unjust reproach, fatigue — and then the fresh, radiant face suddenly became grey and dull. All these, as well as insomnia, are stress factors, during which the release of the hormones catecholamines occurs. Peripheral vessels and skin capillaries are narrowed, blood and nutrient supply is reduced, so the skin turns pale and you get dark circles under the eyes.
Another vivid example of stress is a violation of the outflow of fluid, manifested by a slight swelling of the subcutaneous fatty tissue. And now there is swelling and pastiness, which, by the way, may not appear immediately, but after some time.
Reduced skin firmness
Many people note that against the background of stress, the skin loses its tone and elasticity. The face seems to be ageing, the skin looks flabby and lifeless. Violation of micro circulation inevitably affects its elasticity. But the decrease in tone is also associated with a general change in the tone of the muscles of the face and fibres of the connective tissue — they lose their readiness to contract.
Stress hormones trigger acne, and the appearance of imperfections on the face makes you nervous and aggravates the problem.
Increased skin sensitivity
The reverse side of stress is the development of dryness and hypersensitivity of the skin because of the fatigue and nervous shocks. This is due to an increased level of cortisol, which entails a disruption in lipid synthesis in the epidermis.
Symptoms of sensitive skin such as itching and tightness may become more pronounced with stress. But as soon as the situation returns to normal and there are no reasons for negative feelings, these phenomena will completely disappear.
How to improve your skin? Here are a few advices:
- If you are wondering how to improve your skin, restore its elasticity and radiance, then the first thing to do is to revise your diet. Those whose menu is based on fast food, fatty and heavy foods should change their habits right now. If your diet is balanced, has a lot of greens, fibre and other natural products, then you can periodically arrange cheating days for yourself. Just don’t turn them into cheating weeks or months.
- Take vitamin complexes, especially in winter and spring. It is very important that the body does not have a deficiency of vitamins A, B, C, as well as other essential substances;
- Don’t neglect proper skincare. Carry out an audit on the shelf, throw away all expired funds, as well as those that are not suitable for your skin type;
- It would be nice to fall in love with sports. Active movement improves the supply of oxygen to the body, so choose an activity that you like and go ahead. If you don’t want to go to the gym, walking in the evenings or yoga are a great choice too.
- Drink the right drinks. If you do not know how to improve your skin condition, train yourself to drink a healthy liquid. Eliminate strong drinks, soda, dairy drinks and alcohol from the diet. You can safely drink green tea, it is rich in iodine and has a lot of benefits and not only for your skin.
- Don’t forget that if you have a serious skin condition, such as dermatitis or psoriasis, none of the advice above will make them disappear, you should always seek professional help. Green Square Dermatology can help you with your treatment, education and ongoing prevention of serious conditions.
A look may not be the most important thing in the word, but your health certainly is. Don’t treat your organism and skin like they are not a part of you. You can always try your best to avoid all the negative situations and emotions and with following the tips we gave you, you will always look gorgeous, fresh and healthy!
You can include this bio if you like: Nina is a blogger, yoga aficionado and healthy lifestyle enthusiast. She’s passionate about learning new things and sharing meaningful ideas. If you wanna see what she’s up to you can find her on twitter